Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: AES-256 encryption

From: dante <dante () virtualblueness net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:45:08 -0400

Hi Dereck and list,

The cipher itself is not easily cracked (and by cracked I mean
decryptable without the key with a reasonable amount of CPU cycles,
given a reasonably strong key), but the implementation can be weak.  One
such weakness is the so-called watermark attack.  See

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t14922.html

There is proof of concept code  there --- it is easy enough that I give
it to my students as an assignment.

For more information, see also

http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.cryptoloop.php   (I don't agree with
everything written there, but its worth the read.)

As an aside (since this thread has drifted --- surprise), it would be
nice to have a compendium of references comparing encryption techniques,
their strengths and weaknesses.  Something practical, what works and
what doesn't.  The journals concentrate on the ciphers/hashes and their
strengths (eg. the recent sha1 weakness discovered by Wang et al.)  but
I think the biggest problem is poor implementation (eg. problems with
how the initialization vector is handled, etc.)

Anthony Basile, Chair IT
D'Youville College
Buffalo, NY USA

Dereck Martin wrote:
I use an encrypted file system in Linux using a loopback device with AES-256 encryption and the password is a
symmetric GPG key on a USB device required a boot (which also contains the boot partition).  What would be the likely
hood of breaking the encryption if the disk was taken, but the GPG key required to unlock it was not.

Dereck Martin
Network Operations Engineer
PacketDrivers IT Outsourcing, LLC
http://www.packetdrivers.com