Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Gear

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:49:11 +0200

Hi Jan, et al.,

You bring up a good point. Having a robust system or two for interception and monitoring is important for network level analysis. While laptops are getting better, faster, and more like desktop PCs, it might be an investment not worth making especially when laptops have still such a huge failure rate (something around 25% go back to the shop for repairs- I myself have lost 3 out of 10 to motherboard failure). You don't want that happening on the job!

Laptops are fine for simple wireless networks tests but you should consider getting a more formidable spectrum analyzer from a reputable company. Many of the OSSTMM 3 wireless tests are within spectrum ranges most laptops can't touch. When it comes to testing for interference, privacy, anomalies, and human safety, you can't stay within the confines of the traditional wireless modes. Considering that damaged, imported, and even older packet radio technology will slip right through your fingers. It's not hard to get a packet fax on Ebay as used on boats and start sending out documents. Will you detect that with your laptop? How about devices using freq. ranges legal and present in one country but not yours (WiFi Channel 14?). Criminals will not follow the EM spectrum rules and you need to find these leaks.

Depending on the tests you do inside there is a lot of gear you might need from air quality sniffers to cameras which can see infrared and measure light intensity. OSSTMM 3 goes into detail on what these tests are.

Anyway, I have yet to find a decent spectrum analyzer or many of the other tools that are needed for a successful test scenario. Good luck!

-pete.

Jan Heisterkamp wrote:
Hi Peter,
you will be astonished, I don't use laptops exeptual I go wireless, then I have to, no PDA's and no sonic ear type devices. I carry my ATX towers, cables keyboards, a good stack of paper, pencils, calculator, references where needed, Software - mostly open source, enough cigarretes, "dos pinos"-strawberrymilk, water, Maruchan or Ramen Instantnoodlesoups. I take my notices with a txt-editor or doing screeshots and all the rest I write down by hand -old shool...

In the past years I often heard from customers the question "And where is your laptop" and I alway had the feeling that they think, the posession of a laptop is a important proof of competence; the world turned crazy, enjoy!