Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: How to find the users with local admin rights?

From: "Debasis Mohanty" <mail () hackingspirits com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:22:10 +0530

-----Original Message-----
From: Debasis Mohanty [mailto:debasis () hackingspirits com]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:21 AM
To: 'pen-test () securityfocus com'
Subject: RE: How to find the users with local admin rights?

-----Original Message-----
From: Debasis Mohanty [mailto:debasis.mohanty.listmails () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 8:08 AM
To: 'WALI'; 'list () security-database com'; 'igor.mamuzic () koncar-inem hr'
Cc: 'pen-test () securityfocus com'

---> I was wondering, if there is an alternative to restrict HelpDesk from
knowing local Admin username and password and still do not effect their
ability to troubleshoot a problem in case they need to have escalated
rights on someone's PC? <---

One that I am aware of is MakeMeAdmin. It is used to perform actions on a
workstation that requires escalated privileges. However, you would still
require a admin credential to use it. So create a customize PowerUser or
admin user to best suit your need.

Get it here -
http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2004/07/24/193721.aspx

Besides this if you are also looking for a LUA (Least-Privileged User
Account) approach then it worth looking at this -
https://ms.helifan.net/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/luawinxp.mspx

hope it help.

-d