Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: DROP or REJECT that is the question...

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:00:54 +0100

On 03/04/07, Mohamed Abdel Kader <mak.pen () gmail com> wrote:
All,

I wanted to gather your opinions on whether firewall rules should be Dropped

Or Rejected. To me I believe that both give away the firewall rules.

What does everyone out there think?

I agree. I don't think DROPping doesn't provides any extra security
but it can cause troubleshooting headaches, and long timeouts in some
cases, so I tend to reject instead.

cheers,
Jamie
--
Jamie Riden, CISSP / jamesr () europe com / jamie () honeynet org uk
UK Honeynet Project: http://www.ukhoneynet.org/