Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Saprouter audit

From: Jan van Rensburg <jan.van.rensburg () epiuse com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:21:54 +0200

Hi Prashant,

Saprouter is closed source software for a closed spec protocol. Therefor pentesting will take some manual labour. Depending on how much time you want to put into this, you could do some reverse engineering and try the usual suspects - buffer overflows etc.

This might be a useful starting point:
http://www.ccc.de/congress/2004/fahrplan/event/26.de.html

Quote from the site: "Most hackers perceive SAP R/3 installations as enormous data graves with limited hack value because of its immense size and doubtful design. However, there are usually lots of company relevant data. As it is good and common practise, the more valuable the data, the less it is protected."

Considering how crucial SAP can be to businesses who own it, the security community would probably do their clients a huge service by really getting to grips with SAP.

Regards,
Jan