Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: HEAD request

From: "Ory Segal" <osegal () watchfire com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:33:42 +0300

That's correct, hence why I wrote "usually".

A Firewall/WAF/Proxy may be blocking this and dropping the connection
altogether.

Although my guess is that the problem lies somewhere in the netcat
usage. I noticed that NetCat has some quirks when connecting to IIS/6.x
- in some scenarios the connection is dropped if you try to send HTTP
traffic through the command line.

I think that the best way to check if this is the problem is to use a
file input:
nc www.some.site 80 < file

And make sure that the file has the two CRLFs after the request, for
example:
HEAD / HTTP/1.0
[CRLF]
[CRLF]