Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Core Impact Vs Manual Pen Test

From: andy cuff <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:50:19 +0100

Core is a cool product as are Metasploit and Canvas, though I don't feel that
any of them would replace a manual Pen Test, though they will complement one
and indeed speed one up.  Perhaps the client could use an exploitation engine
prior to employing Pen Testers to remove the low hanging fruit, forcing the Pen
Testers to think outside the box in order to demonstrate their Leetness and
attract repeat business.

Best Regards
--
Andy Cuff
Computer Network Defence Ltd

Quoting Philippe Dumont <philippe.dumont () abovesecurity com>:

I use Core Impact and I have to say... it is a tool and a good one. But it
won't exploit every possible vulnerabilities. Sometimes you can reach root
access thru escalation, which is the coolest way of all.

Myself and my collegue once found a backup script that divulged the root
password... the script was found via a anonymous FTP server :-) (And this was
in a Scada environment)

Core impact won't do that for you! Catch my drift?