Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Layer 3 and Firewall

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:47:05 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Subject: RE: Layer 3 and Firewall

Has anyone here actually used VLAN hopping in a pen-test. Although I've
played with it in a lab I've
never actually done in an audit as (at least for me) I found it HEAVILY
dependent upon terrible switch
configuration.

That or older switch hardware/firmware.

Also another concern is these enterprise multi-layer switches - like we
had 4 6509 switches with
redundant paths out. I just can't see doing that kind of stuff and risking
taking down the ENTIRE
network.

What do you guyz think?

Instead of assessing the live switches, it's often easier to get a similar
model switch loaded with the same firmware and configuration and test it in
an isolated environment.  It's not perfect, but it's close enough to be
worth doing, especially where scheduling down time for core switches is
difficult if not impossible.

PaulM