Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Informing Companies about security vulnerabilities...

From: Dan Catalin Vasile <hardware_cta () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:10:40 -0700 (PDT)

You can try to set them an ultimatum pretending to
disclose the holes
to the public. Perhaps they are more willing to
react if they are forced
to do so.

Yeah, right... and then call all the lawayers that you
know.
This would be blackmail, so you are eligible for a
grandious legal action against you.

My several cents: if they don't answer after one
e-mail just leave them. You have done more than
enough.

Have secure fun,
Dan

--- Andreas Putzo <putzoa () gmx de> wrote:

On Oct 04, Joseph McCray wrote:
Usually when we do this we only find a few simple
things (XXS for
example) - no big deal right. With this particular
website we just kept
finding another, after another and on and on. Over
600 instances of XXS,
over 200 SQL Injection - this was bad. After a
while it started to get
boring there was so many....

So I drafted a letter to the editor as well as
several other prominent
people at the newspaper. It detailed my finding
and recommended some
possible mitigation strategies. After emailing
this I didn't hear
anything for a few days, so I emailed it again and
followed up with a
phone call. After getting no response to the
second email and then
having been bounced around from department to
department when I called I
just said forget it.

You can try to set them an ultimatum pretending to
disclose the holes
to the public. Perhaps they are more willing to
react if they are forced
to do so.
Depending on the information you can get through the
website (customer
data anywhere?) and the laws in your country (IANAL,
btw.)
you may go to the intrigued publicity, indeed. They
gotta have to do something if
someone defaced their website actually.

--
regards,
Andreas Putzo

Need to secure your web apps?
Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast.
Click the link to buy it, try it or download
Hailstorm for FREE.

http://www.cenzic.com/products_services/download_hailstorm.php?camp=701600000008bOW