Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Remote File Include Vulns (Are you testing for it, are you teaching it)

From: espen () multigeeks com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:37:15 +0200

Quoting Joseph McCray <joe () learnsecurityonline com>:

I've been spending a lot of time googling these php shells (c99/r57 et
al) lately. It appears that people are getting these on servers via
Remote File Include vulnerabilities.

I'm curious how many auditors are 1) testing for this stuff in your
audits. Tons of blog, forum, and wiki packages have these vulns - are
you guys testing for this stuff, and more importantly are you finding it
vuln in your audits?

--
Joe McCray
Toll Free:  1-866-892-2132

Learn Security Online, Inc.

* Security Games        * Simulators
* Challenge Servers     * Courses
* Hacking Competitions  * Hacklab Access

Hi Joe,

remote file inclusion (RFI) has become a huge problem and security gap the last couple of years, therefore I believe that this is something to be taken seriously. These vulnerabilities are very easy to exploit; I see it being exploited pretty often, usually by script kiddies whose goal is to deface the site - but often also to dump forum databases etc.

To give you a little example of this, my brother owns a site which was vulnerable to RFI. Someone exploited this and set up a paypal scam site. Luckily enough, the web host suspended the page temporarily to let him clean up the mess.

Also, when the web servers have writeable directories, it is easy for the attacker to upload different kinds of (malicious?) stuff. Usually backdoors, trojans, psybncs/eggdrops etc. As you probably understand, a lot of these boxes are being used for DDoSing purposes etc.
Another thing that's good for the attacker; if safe mode is set to off.

As I've mentioned earlier, I believe this is something to *really* take seriously, especially while performing pen-tests.

Excuse my English.

Regards,
Espen D.