Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Mag Stripe reader for POS terminal pentest

From: Jason Ostrom <justiceguy () pobox com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:57:06 -0600

Can anyone recommend a good value magnetic stripe reader / writer for pentesting POS terminals, specifically Micros POS terminals in a retail environment?

I'm looking for anyone who has some insight or experience in this area. I'm not positive, but I think these are HiCo magnetic stripe cards with relevant track data on track 2, but a reader/writer for tracks 1, 2, and 3 would be great. This would be used to test for potentially fraudalent usage of magnetic cards such as cloning them, fraudalent transactions, manipulation of track data and encoding of cards.

Any help or insight very much appreciation!
Thanks,
Jason