Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Re: Core Impact vs. Canvas vs. Metasploit

From: "Sahir Hidayatullah" <sahirh () mielesecurity com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:58:40 +0530

commercial grade is richer with attacks
Are you refering to the number of exploits provided? Don't forget that
Metasploit is designed as an exploitation framework, it also makes it
significantly easier to put together an exploit. I also find that just about
every worthwhile exploit makes it into a metasploit module pretty soon.

more developed GUI
Being addressed for Framework 3.0 -- Web GUI with AJAX as well as WxRuby
standalone GUI. See page 10 of Moore's CSW presentation here:
http://www.cansecwest.com/slides06/csw06-moore.pdf

ability to use "syscall proxies"
Once again, framework 3.0 has a heavily ramped up meterpreter module. You'll
essentially get a complete programmatic shell (Ruby's IRB for those
familiar) on exploitation. This lets you do some extremely nifty things
(imagine having the complete power of ruby in your hands), refer to:
http://metasploit.blogspot.com/2006/04/post-exploitation-fun-in-metasploit-3
0.html

Other interesting developments for Metasploit 3.0 include session sharing
among many users (great for testing as a team), ability to concurrently
attack and manage multiple victim sessions, aux modules will allow recon and
integration with your other tools (nmap, nessus etc).

The key here is extensibility of the tool -- I would say if you can code,
Metasploit gives you significantly more flexibility over most of the
commercial alternatives. Not to mention there is a rather obvious price
difference as well.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.