Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: vulnerability scanners not effective? or just a false-positive?

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:57:28 +0200

Craig,

You like to keep on my toes, that's for sure.

Pete stated:  default banners ..."wouldn't be the threat, they would be
the vulnerability if you're talking Risk"

I would not even classify them as a vulnerability. They may form a part
of an attack vector or a link in an attack tree, but not a
vulnerability.

You're right. I got sloppy and should have said "on the vulnerability side" but didn't consider to remark on attack trees in my answer.

Knowing the structure of the web site is not in itself a risk or
vulnerability. It can comprise a branch in an attack tree, but can not
facilitate an attack in itself.

Actually, it can facilitate an attack. Information does make an attack easier to propagate.

depends on the method used to determine risk. A "fluffy" qualitative
risk analysis (there are better or worse qualitative techniques) based
on opinion will fit this description. A detailed quantitative analysis
using Stochastically defined models and a Bayesian likelihood analysis,
maybe even integrating Bayesian linguistic techniques is fairly
definitive no matter where you are.

Nothing fluffy. Nothing qualitative either. Risk is indeed always relative to the level of involvement and cost in taking the risk. You can have all the models in the world but risk is still a preference based on what one values.

Sincerely,
-pete.