Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting code: The Future

From: Tonnerre Lombard <tonnerre.lombard () sygroup ch>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:13:04 +0200

Salut,

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 13:13 +0800, Mike Gilligan wrote:
Stack and heap based overflows were the traditional methods of exploiting
C/C++ code. then the previously unknown Format string attacks were brought
to the communities attention around 2000. Is it likely that in 5 years time
or sooner we will be talking about an as-yet unknown form of exploitation or
have we exhausted all methods of attacking C/C++ based code/apps?

There is in fact already a variety of different attack vectors, such as
input validation issues, insufficient authentication verification
(Hello, DTAG), signal handler vulnerabilities (Ok, those are related to
double free attacks most of the time), etc.

Alan Turing taught us that there is no limit to what can be done with a
"Turing complete" programming language. Consequently, the amount of
things that can be done wrong is probably infinite.

                                Tonnerre
--
SyGroup GmbH
Tonnerre Lombard

Loesungen mit System
Tel:+41 61 333 80 33    Roeschenzerstrasse 9
Fax:+41 61 383 14 67    4153 Reinach
Web:www.sygroup.ch      tonnerre.lombard () sygroup ch