Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to: Check SSL version Numbers remotely

From: thomas springer <tuevsec () gmx net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:30:35 +0200

I'd like to point out that the THC-Tool and Foundstones Site-Digger
mentioned here are outdated Software that won't support every possible
SSL-Cipher and Protocol.

Some online-tools like dnsstuff.com or csnc.ch are also outdated and
support only a small range of ciphers and protocols.

In fact I know only 2 tools doing a good job:
- Nessus (might require to be linked against a recent(!) and specially
compiled (IDEA-Support) OpenSSL-Lib)
- The SSL-Check at http://www.serversniff.net/content.php?do=ssl (or the
corresponding API-Checks)

I started to put up an ugly and yet unfinished comparison of common
SSL-Check-Software on
http://www.serversniff.de/wiki_en/index.php?title=SSL-Checks in the hope
that this will clarify things and helps understanding the possibilites
of the TLS/SSL-Protocols

Comments or additions are welcome, it's a wiki.

thomas

John Lampe wrote:
offset wrote:

Is there a list of all the possible SSL cipher checks somewhere?

I noticed that the openssl 'ciphers' manpage has a long list and also
shows which
ciphers are not implemented by openssl, so I'm curious about the
differences between
openssl and gnutls in terms of cipher support, or if they overlap, or
if there are
ssl libs that support ciphers that openssl does not.

I noticed that my linux distro doesnt include the patented ciphers
(IDEA, MDC2, RC5, EC), so I
had to "unhobble" my version of openssl to get more extensive checking.

The THCSSLCheck does not check for the NULL cipher, not sure how
comprehensive Foundstone's
SSLDigger is.

In openssl, you can view the ciphers that your version supports via
this command

openssl ciphers -v 'ALL:eNull'

-off

The Nessus developers here at Tenable have been updating the Nessus
cipher check.  See
http://www.nessus.org/plugins/index.php?view=viewsrc&id=21643 .  Of
course, I'd recommend running all the Nessus SSL plugins, as a strong
cipher on an insecure implementation can be problematic ;-)

John

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1
solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from
eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need
to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the
most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security
penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an
option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an
enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on
how a managed service can help you:
http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited
time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other
product. Contact us at request () cenzic com for details.