Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Security Scanner

From: Nicob <nicob () nicob net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:07:34 +0100

Le lundi 13 février 2006 à 20:40 +0000, dgoodrum () nfr com a écrit :

The jist of the project I'm working on started because there is a
belief that when IPv6 rolls out, active scanning will become a thing
of the past due to the large number of potential addresses on a given
subnet.  i.e. the smallest IPv6 subnet address range is millions of
times larger than the entire IPv4 address range, implying that it will
take a VERY VERY long time to scan the full address range.  So, rather
than actively scan a range looking for hosts to check for
vulnerabilities, we're hoping to solve the problem by passively
finding IP addresses as soon as they talk on the network and then
triggering the scan.  Comments on these assertions/ideas are very
welcome.

Bellowin, Cheswick and Keromytis just published a paper about which
strategies a worm could use to scan a IPv6 network for live hosts :

        http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/v6worms.pdf

--
Nicob
Hey, I'm looking for a pen-tester job (France or telecommuting)

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831