Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Why Penetration Test?

From: Jim Geovedi <jim () geovedi com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:33:13 +0700

Gareth Davies <gareth.davies () mynetsec com> wrote:
IMHO a full pen-test consists of a VA but it goes one step further, into
the realm of actually confirming the exploits will work (as an example,
sendmail is often pegged as being vulnerable, but many OS's update the
service without changing the banner, so according to the banner it's
vulnerable, in reality it's not).

I agree.

Many people (the clients) still don't understand the term of pentest & VA.
In the end, it doesn't really matter for them since what they need is
"just" a security assurance.

For pentest, we give our testing policy and explain that we take on the
_attackers' perspective_, actively aiming to exploit and compromise the
targets by using known and/or unknown (0-day) vulnerabilities.

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831