Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Rookie question about differences between -S and -sI option

From: "Mark Fosseth" <brundleflynet () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:20:41 +0000

Hi All,

In terms of probing IPs which is the difference between scanning an host spoofing the source IP via -S option or scanning through an idle scan via the -sI option beside perspetive of course ?

I performed a normal -sS scan and later I issued the same command and option using also -S but despiting the fact the command started correctly I had no results even if the spoofed IP was online. Do you have an idea what I am missing ?

Thanks

Yashin

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831