Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Motorola SBV5120 Exploit

From: Cristian Stoica <security () netcms biz>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:09:15 +0200

Hi,

I've did some tests( DoS ) with cable modems and I've notice the following problem: running nmap on the management ip address of the cable modem resulted into a response of the modem of about 3-5 s not ms and the network behind the modem was unable to use the internet. I've used no special options for nmap, simply running nmap ip_address had that result. I've tested with Scientific Atlanta, Thomson, RCA modems and none reacted that way. I think that this is an easy DoS for Motorola cable modems, that can be started from inside the network also aginst the ip 192.168.100.1 ( the standard management ip address for docsis cable modems ).
   Anyone else had this problem ?
Beside restricting access to the vlan with the management address is there any other things that can be done ?

Best regards,
Cristian Stoica

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831