Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: live distro where metasloit3 hdm works

From: Jax <cybercorecentre () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 04:28:49 +0100

Jacco wrote:
Hey, Jax

I dont want to be rude, but a small reminder that, altho it is possible to use autopwn in metasploit, it is far from a penetration test, since it is limited by the quantity and quality of exploits it carries, the scans it performs are very limited, penetration testing is far more than ./autopwn, to seriously test, one becomes knowledge of achitecture of the (white, gray or black) box on the network(x86, x64, etc, what kind of adittional hardware it carries and what kind of daemons and remote user interfaces are running above the kernel layer, a complete discovery of open ports, to gather such information through an automated system while you struggling with the right install of the program

Yes I'm aware of that. But at the moment I can spare lot of time with this auto feature.
But to answer your question : Backtrack 2.0 BETA comes with a complete metasploit 3 setup which works (also with autopwn) and is ready to use, just take your time to find out how to install it to the harddrive and if it doesnt install right : Download it again from the Metasploit site and manually compile it, im sure it will also work for you .

Thanks for the answers, when I said backtrack I was referring to BT2.0 beta and I got the error messages with that but after I tried slax (thanks for Chris) I can rebuild the image.

Greetz

Jacco "Dash" Rorman

Best Regards,

JaX