Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Panda ActiveScan false positive with Nessus .nasl files

From: "Pedro Bustamante" <pbustamante () pandasoftware com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:42:34 +0200

Recently I checked mi winXP system with Panda online ActiveScan,
and I think it has found some false positive when checking some
nessus's .nasl files:

Virus:Linux/Test10879
    Disinfected
C:\Documents and Settings\FALSEUSER\Mis documentos\ FALSEPATH
\nessus-installer.sh[nessus.tar.gz][nessus.tar][nessus-
plugins/scripts/port_shell_execution.nasl]

I am curious about the first file's "DISINFECTED" status.

In the case of port_shell_execution.nasl the Panda ActiveScan message
is misleading. Droppers cannot be disinfected, only deleted. Viruses
can be disinfected.  Linux/Test10879 is marked as a dropper, so
therefore the "disinfection" message you're seeing actually means that
the file was deleted. Anyhow, it has now been fixed.

Hacktool:DoS/42zip Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\
FALSEUSER \Mis documentos\FALSEPATH\nessus-
installer.sh[nessus.tar.gz][nessus.tar][nessus-plugins/
scripts/smtp_AV_42zip_DoS.nasl][42.zip]

Regarding smtp_AV_42zip_DoS.nasl the detection is correct. Most AVs today will scan base64 embedded files with text
files.

Regards,

Pedro Bustamante
Panda Software International