Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Using schmoo rainbow tables with rcrack

From: "Victor Chapela" <victor () sm4rt com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:37:51 -0600

Hi,

The problem you have is based on the fact that you are trying to break 2 Lan
Manager hashes, not one. Remember that Lan Manager splits passwords into two
independent hashes and then sticks them together. You can do two things: use
the pwdump format in which as an extra bonus rcrack will break the lowercase
letters by bruteforcing the NTLM hash (only after it breaks both hashes) or
you can use the hash list (-l) or individual hashes (-h) by separating your
hashes into two separate ones. For example, the hash for the word "password"
would be E52CAC67419A9A224A3B108F3FA6CB6D where E52CAC67419A9A22 would be
broken into "passwor" and 4A3B108F3FA6CB6D into "d".

You can use "rcrack alpha/*rt -h E52CAC67419A9A22" to break the first half.

Good luck,
Victor