Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: [lists] What ever happened to the Netbios share scanner utilities?

From: "Kyle Quest" <Kyle.Quest () networkengines com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:36:04 -0400

I'm affraid this isn't exactly correct.
Cain is is indeed a nice SMB sniffer and an
SMB password cracker (well, a hash cracker to be exact);
however, it's not a login bruteforcer.

Kyle

<snip>
Having said that I have a very simple question that has been
eluding me as of late.  What ever happened to the evolution
of the Windows share scanner/brute force utility?

I've done what I consider to be fairly extensive Google
searching, but have not been able to find a utility that fits
the following parameters:

Run on windows, scans an IP range for machines with
accessible netbios shares, and is capable of attempting a
brute force attempt on these shares, using a wordlist it
generates on the fly and is configurable to length and
character content (much like Brutus).
<snip>

I believe Cain and Abel at http://www.oxid.it/cain.html fits your bill.  A
very good and flexible sniffer/cracker.

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831