Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PT] Load Balancers?

From: Jerome Athias <jerome.athias () free fr>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 00:24:24 +0200

Hi,

does an nmap -V give an F5 Labs... ?

BSK wrote:

Dear All,

I'm doing a Blackbox PT for one of our clients, for
their website. I noticed a scenario which I would like
to discuss with you and get your opinion.

I got their IP by pinging the website address. I
cancelled the first ping and executed the second ping
immediately. The resolved address remains the same but
the domain name changes. Below are the sample results,
with real names changed:

# ping dummy.com
PING www.dummy.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of
data
64 bytes from www.dummy.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx):
icmp_seq=0 ttl=109 time=351 ms

# ping dummy.com
PING pummy.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of data
64 bytes from pummy.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_seq=0
ttl=109 time=351 ms

# ping dummy.com
PING www.suffy.cc (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of
data
64 bytes from www.suffy.cc (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx):
icmp_seq=0 ttl=109 time=351 ms

When I repeat the same process for pummy.net, I get
same results.

I think its a server collocation or load balancing
done on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

All dummy.com, suffy.cc and pummy.net show the same
website when seen thru the web browser.

Await your inputs.

Thanks,
Bshan

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831