Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing on WPA

From: Eduardo Espina <eduardomx () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:56:01 -0600

The point is, it would be ALMOST the same thing to have a universal
key for all the wireless clients (like in WEP) than the per-user
key used in WPA when it comes to confidentiality. Obviously, as long
as you can do ARP cache poisoning.

I totally disagree. 802.11 is a physical/link layer protocol and WPA is
there to secure it. You can use plenty of other protocols than IP over
it, including ones that do not require ARP.
My point is ARP cache poisoning being a specific upper layer protocol,
it's out of layer 2 mecanisms to take care of it.

As I noted before, as long as you can do ARP cache poisoning, I'm not
talking about other protocols.

You just have to see what you get after a break-in. If you break WEP
you get sniffing capabilities, if you break WPA you get sniffing
capabilities (ARP cache poisoning required).

Yes, it's out of WPA's scope, I don't blame WPA for that, but the
problem it's still there. Then, all wireless users should be aware
that WPA with ARP-included protocols does not differ much from a
hotspot (talking about confidentiality) and that users shouldn't feel
so secure because they are on WPA.

And by the way, this is not quite a news. A lot of people that gave
talks about layer 2 attacks and ARP cache poisoning in particular
mentionned the fact. Some of my talks that come in mind:

http://sid.rstack.org/pres/0207_LSM02_ARP.pdf
http://sid.rstack.org/pres/0305_ESIEA_LANAttacks.pdf

As I wrote, I don't remember a discussion on this topic here.
Yes, it's not "fresh news", but today it's a problem more than ever.
It would be interesting to see how new generation switch-based
networks handle this. (aruba, cisco-airespace, etc.)
In SOHO networks the impact is limited to users associated to the same
AP. Would centralized switched networks (aruba, cisco, etc) attack be
limited to the same AP?

Greets,
Eduardo.

--
Eduardo Espina Garcia <eespina () seguridad unam mx>
Departamento de Seguridad en Computo - UNAM-CERT DGSCA, UNAM

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831