Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Cisco Secret 5 and John Password Cracker

From: "Pachulski, Keith" <keithp () corp ptd net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:02:01 -0500

Look for a program called tomas.exe aka Too Many Secrets - this one does work for the cisco passwords.

original> -----Original Message-----
original> From: Unknown User [mailto:9nkn0wn () gmail com]
original> Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:27 AM
original> To: pen-test () securityfocus com
original> Subject: Cisco Secret 5 and John Password Cracker
original>
original>
original> Hi
original>
original>  I have recovered some cisco passwords that are
original> encrypted using the
original> secret 5 format. They look like this
original>
original>  $1$Wgqc$sbb8R/2rtOhc7t86J5axj.
original>
original>  The question is can i simply plug this into a
original> standard unix type
original> shadow file format and use john to crack. I've tried
original> this but I'm not
original> convinced that John is actually working. Its also
original> incrediblly slow.
original> Any other tools available to crack these types of passwords.
original>
original>  Thanks
original>