Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[Fwd: Re: Moving from Defense to Offense (or vice versa) to secure your network]

From: Max Ashton <maxashton () eml cc>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:18:08 +0000

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Max Ashton <maxashton () eml cc>
To: Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Subject: Re: Moving from Defense to Offense (or vice versa) to secure
your network
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:16:22 +0000
Hi Erin

So I was hoping some list members would share some similar experiences with
us. How many of you have switched between offense/defense and what were some
of the stumbling blocks or key differences you found in how you approached
your goals? Is it worth it to cross-train in some manner? How have you sold
someone on the advantages of penetration-testing your network to quantify
and test the effectiveness of your existing defenses?

I think it's definately worth cross training here, as i'm sure others
will agree. There's an old saying, "Sometimes the best defence is a good
offence". You can't expect to call your own network secure if you
haven't even run a penetration test on it. If you don't know how to
break a network, you won't be as good as you could be at defending it.

There are a *lot* of tools out there that an attacker can use to gain
insight into your network, and you're only going to be able to stop them
if you know what they know.

Know what i'm saying?

Max