Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Application Security Scanning

From: Andrew Simmons <asimmons () messagelabs com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:50:44 +0000

hi Adam,

adam.hirsch () drkw com wrote:

I was hoping to see if anyone has heard of an application security scanner that scan scan non-web based applications. So far, the only automated tools that I have been able to find are source code security scanners. Has anyone heard of an application that can scan non-web based apps?

As far as I know, only scanners that are specifically intended for web
apps (such as Nitko) don't work against 'non-web' apps. Certainly
Nessus, Retina, Nmap et al all work fine against non-web apps, as long
as they have a network interface.

I'm a bit puzzled by the question, actually. By "non-web" do you mean
"not using HTTP over port 80/443"? Or "apps that don't use the network"?

cheers

\a

--
Andrew Simmons
Technical Security Consultant

--
Andrew Simmons
Technical Security Consultant
MessageLabs

Mobile: +44 (7917) 178745
asimmons () messagelabs com
 www.messagelabs.com

MessageLabs - Be certain

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831