Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Network Security Assessment - 2nd edition

From: Chris McNab <chris.mcnab () trustmatta com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:12:05 +0000

Dear all,

So over christmas and into the new year I'm putting together the 2nd edition of my Internet-based pentesting book, Network Security Assessment (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/networksa/), which will be an update of the original, with obsolete information removed, and some new chapters, including exploit frameworks and web application assessment.

If you've read the 1st edition and have any comments or things that you'd like to see in the 2nd, please let me know so that I can add them in.. details of useful tools that aren't mentioned in the 1st edition would be good, along with any testing approaches or techniques that I didn't cover (particularly in regard to IPsec VPN, Citrix, Oracle, and other specific services that I cover in the book). Please no requests for 802.11 wireless hacking chapters, local network testing (sniffing, ARP spoofing, VLAN hacking), wardialling, etc. -- this book is for Internet-based testing only, and I hope it can become a reference manual for professional testers everywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

--
Chris McNab
Technical Director

Matta Consulting Limited
Friars House
157-168 Blackfriars Road
London SE1 8EZ

T: 08700 77 11 00
W: www.trustmatta.com

The information contained in this email is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged material or information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Information and attachments may be used only for the purpose for which they are sent, and copying, disclosure or distribution of any information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831