Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Westell wirespeed modem

From: Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:55:18 -0400

I believe the Westell Wirespeed is a Globespan chipset based device. The default username/password for the Westell
Wirespeed is username: admin password: password but this is a common combo for default settings on various wireless
devices. Hopefully the default password was changed :)

Though a quick google search didn't find any obvious exploits bear in mind that the Westell uses PPPoE for admin
connections by default (this can be changed). Though I was unable to pick up any specific information on what PPPoE
code is incorporated into the Westell firmware there are exploits possible in certain PPPoE packages that the device
may be vulnerable to. Your best bet aside from the usual misconfiguration/open port testing might be to test against
the PPPoE stack with Metasploit or similar tools.

HTH,

Erin Carroll

Sherwyn Williams <sherwill22 () tmail com> wrote ..
Hey all,
      I was doing some testing and I can accross a westell wirespeed
wireless router, do anyone know of any default passwords for this type
of wireless device, or any secuirty faults that are build into westell
routers?
Sherwyn Williams
Technical Consultant
(917) 650-5139