Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Test Hardware Vendor

From: Terry Vernon <tvernon24 () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:09:56 -0400

For Pen testing you don't need a powerful machine unless you are going to be doing some cypher cracking with john-the-ripper or capturing wireless encrypted data and cracking it with airsnort. Buy a crappy little laptop and install Phlak on it (Professional Hackers Linux Assault Kit) it's much like Trinux used to be. www.phlak.org I think it is. Try to get a laptop that has both an ethernet card and a wireless ethernet card. If you work for a company that will be funding your machine I suggest an alienware laptop, I think they're nice.

Phlak is just a version of debian linux that has been stripped down and every security auditing tool you can imagine is on it, download the ISO and burn it onto disk. (Let me add that this tool kit is nice but you're better off installing a simple desktop linux like fedora or mandrake or something and going and get all of the tools they have listed on the phlak website yourself, this ensures you have all of the latest versions of the tools.)

Hope you get done what you need
Terry Vernon