Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: DDos within a pentest

From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 19:16:12 -0500

Hi Julian,

These kinds of tests are delicate. I understand that you would like to show customers the impact, but there are some
problems:

* Unless you control all devices (or at least have written permission to perform this test on them) between your
machines and the ones from you client, you might be DoSing a third party (e.g. a router of the ISP of your client is
unable to handle the attack and goes down).
* Even if you control bandwidth things fail (i.e. payload could trigger a DoS, not necessarily a certain amount of
packets)
* A third party might just get angry to see this activity on his equipment, even if you cause not harm, you will still
use some bandwidth (with dubious intent, from their point of view), and they could go after you.

So, the main problem here is: dealing with third parties.

My suggestion therefore is to avoid them. You can do a couple of things:
a) Work with your client to get your machines plugged into their perimeter routers, which will give you the ability to
perform a controlled (D)DoS with almost no deviation from a real test.
b) Do it in their internal network, in a controlled environment.

One option or the other would be more interesting to each company, depending on their business process (e.g. e-commerce
sites might prefer a), while a manufacture company might prefer b) ).

For your last question, it all depends how your client configured their routers/firewalls. If they answer all requests,
then you could DoS the legitimate user of the spoofed address, otherwise no. It also depends on whether you rotate the
source (spoofed) address; in this case only a couple of packets might be sent to the spoofed addresses, if any.

I hope this helps,

Omar Herrera