Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Multi stage penetration test example?

From: Ole Martin Dahl <ole.dahl () hig no>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:30:56 +0100

Hi,

I am a MSc student who are currently writting my MSc thesis about penetration testing. The approach I use is similar to McDermott's [ attack nets [1], i.e. I use petri nets (a kind of graph) to model penetrations and to help with the process of penetration testing.

To do "proof of concept" of my model I plan to build different test scenarios. These scenarios need to be a little more complex than standard buffer overflow vulnerability penetrations.

What I need are penetration testing examples where several "variables" must be controlled at the same time (in paralell) or where different vulnerabilites rely upon each other to be able to succeed in penetrating (get access of some kind). Maybe an advance e-commerce/web.ap. multi-stage attack that require conrol over many states/variables or a root kit approach which need many conditions to be fullfiled to be sucessfull?

Any of you that know of such examples or better ones that could be reproduced in an lab setting (without the use of to many hosts)? Links?

Thanks for any help!

--
Vennlig hilsen / Best regards
Ole Martin Dahl

@InProceedings{1,
 author = {J. P. McDermott},
 title = {Attack net penetration testing},
 booktitle = {Proceedings of the 2000 workshop on New security paradigms},
 year = {2000},
 isbn = {1-58113-260-3},
 pages = {15--21},
 location = {Ballycotton, County Cork, Ireland},
 publisher = {ACM Press},
 }