Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: HP BL30's and VLAN's

From: "Jerry Shenk" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:32:23 -0500

First off...a terminology question:  By DMZ, are you referring to a
service network that is on a 3rd NIC of the firewall or the area between
the edge router and the firewall?  The term was originally a military
term used to refer to the buffer zone between to hostile countries then
a large firewall vendor decided to use the term for what I'd call a
service network using a 3rd NIC in a firewall or perhaps a separate
firewall.  I'll assume the "wrong" definition since it's actually become
more popular.

That's kindof bad design.  VLANs can often add something to security but
counting on them really isn't the best idea.  There are attacks on
switches than can cause VLANs to fail open although I'm not sure about
this particular one.  In addition to the possibility of 'jumping VLANs',
it's also possible to make a rather small configuration error and have
things wide open.

On the other hand, we don't have any details about your site so there
could be cases where it may be acceptable.  I've seen companies set up
the area outside the firewall on a VLAN on their corporate
switch....that's worse!  It depends what you're protecting too....still,
I can't think of any case where I'd recommend doing it like that.