Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Why Penetration Test?

From: Amit <amit.deshmukh () security-assessment com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:20:37 +1000

Hello all,

Though i'd say the most value i see for my customers comes from option A, we sometimes are faced with clients that conduct a VA but are reluctant or hesitant to take remediation actions based on the results.

It is then that we propose a pen-test to demonstrate how easy/hard it is for an attacker to gain control of critical servers. The result from a pen-test are then used to perform a "root-cause-analysis" to determine the factors contributing to increased security risk. This is to help management understand the impact of risks such as inadequate patching procedures or standards which could translate into regulatory compliance issues.

As far as option B and C are concerned.. I am of the opinion that attackers would only be interested in a single exploitable vulnerability.. so 5 or 7 wouldnt make much of a difference.. except probably demonstrate that time to "own" for the server with more vulns is much less than the one with fewer ones. Having said that, a diligent security consultant needs to find and report atleast all known exploitable vulnerabilities :)

Regards,

Amit Deshmukh

Senior Security Consultant
Security-Assessment.com
Sydney, Australia

cbc wrote:

Hi All,

My comments on these are:

A pentest which is useful and is able to add value to
a company who pays the service is only if the results
and finding are tally with the goal and expectation
established during the initiation of the exercise.

It is meaningless to judge which scenarios is the best
as if my goal of a pentest is to find as many as
vulnerabilites you can and exploit it, then I will say
scenario C is the best. But if my goal is to find
which vulnerbailities would impact my business most,
then scenario A is a better candidate.

In summary, ensuring a proper goal and expectation is
achieved during the planning stage is very vital. You
will find the evaluation and management process more
manageable by doing so!

Regards,
Boon Chin, Senior Security Consultant, Singapore