Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing Encrypted Traffic (w/ keys)

From: Brad DeShong <brad () deshong net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:03:24 -0500

Times Enemy wrote:

Greetings.

http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/

.te

During a recent assesment we compromised SSL keys for a webserver and
wanted to sniff the  "encrypted" traffic.  In theory this works, but
what tools exist to do this in practice?  I've seen Covelight's
Clearwatch on a Windows system, but we're working with a Linux system on
the inside.  Is a MITM necessary or can it be done by just looking at
the traffic after the fact (at least for the half of the connection we
have keys for?).

Thanks,
Brad DeShong
WestAnnex Security

Sure, I know I could do a MITM, but I want to decrypt all this traffic after the fact from pcap data and the retrieved keys. Does ettercap have this capability?