Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Risks associated to branch office IPSec devices

From: "Steve Goldsby (ICS)" <sgoldsby () integrate-u com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:36:27 -0500

Well... Assuming you don't allow all traffic through the tunnel, a L3
firwall helps immensely to contain the threat locally.

So use VPN to provide access to AD/exchange services at central site,
port 80/443 to intranet portal... This is a very limited number of
ports.

If you just have a VPN appliance with no L3 firewall capabilities, you
have one big fat open pipe across the enterprise.

I agree that you are still at risk even with a L3 firewall, but not as
much as having straight IPSEC tunnel.

Am I missing something?

Steve Goldsby