Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Rooting out false positives

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:19:55 -0700

I recently rejected the below submission to the list as it was more
appropriate for Tenable's nessus list rather than pen-test but I wanted to
submit it with an addendum to bring up a topic which I would love to see
discussed: How do list members deal with rooting out false positives? When
do you have "enough" feedback in pen-testing a possible vunerability before
putting something in the false positive column?

5 years ago certain vulnerabilities would have been beyond my skill level at
the time to assess and verify correctly. I'm sure there are things now that
fall into that area as well. What methods do you guys use to minimize that
situation from occuring?