Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pen Test Basic Needs

From: "Saint Anthony" <saintpatrick () xasamail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 05:17:40 2005 +0000

One of the first things to do when undertaking any major project like this, define the scope.  Everything else will
become more definite after you clearly plot out what it is you hope to test.

This includes the selection of utilities and so on.

- Anthony Towry
  Student

sauger () pre2post com wrote:
Hi list,

I recently sent this email on the security-basics list, and
afterwards discovered this list.  I thought I'd repost it, since
this is probably the best place for it.

A quick couple of questions out of curiosity...

1) If you had to do a pen-test, what type of information would
you need to begin with?  External IP?  Web site name?
Anything else I'm forgetting?
2) What tools would you use for the pen-test?  Nessus, Snort,
Cain&Abel.  Anything else that would be useful?
3) Any good docs on where to start?  I can find my way around
once I'm in, but it's the first step that's the problem.
4) Any templates on good contracts to cover myself?

This pen-test will probably be for a network, but also for a web
site that's hosted elsewhere.  Both the network's and the hosing
site's owners are aware and ready to sign off on it, so I'm
pretty much aware of the legal ramifications, which is why I'd
love to see some contract templates.  I'll be backed up by
others, but would still like the info on how to start so I can
prepare.

Thanks everyone!

Stephane

    http://www.xasamail.com/