Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Data Mining for PIX Firewall Logs

From: Michael J McCafferty <mike () m5computersecurity com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:18:26 -0800

PIX firewalls log in syslog format to a syslog server. Syslog is a Unix application. Unix (and Unix like OSes like Linux, BSD, etc) machines have other utilities on them that make searching through a text log file like those created by syslog a breeze. But since you are using Kiwi, that tells me you are logging to a Windows machine. It's unfortunate that Windows machines to this day still do not offer a good way to parse through text log files. The right tool is a Unix box.

        There are some options for you.

1) You can install those tools that one would usually use on a *nix system, which have been ported to Windows. Try Cygwin, for example. There are other ports of the tools like grep, tail, less, more, cat, awk, etc. to Win32. Cygwin may be the most comprehensive. http://www.cygwin.com/

2) Log to a Unix syslog server and use those tools natively. There are several free OSes that you can stick on that same hardware that you are using Windows on now. Logging doesn't require much horsepower at all. Consider Fedora Core (what used to be RedHat), you can get lots of help from other Linux newbies. http://fedora.redhat.com

3) Use the Kiwi Logfile Viewer. I have not used it. Never seen it. It's on the Kiwi web site. http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

If you want to tip-toe in to option 2 above, you can set your PIX to log to two locations. Grab an old PC, and set up a second log server to try option 2 above. There is no doubt gonna be a learning curve to using the basic Unix tools, like grep, awk, tail and less.... and navigating around the new OS... if you are a total newbie to Unix or Linux. If you are not, then I guess you are not likely to have asked this question in the first place. :o) You will also need to set up your logs to rotate on your new OS. Your log rotation script can compress the logs and you can archive these logs for as long as you have disk space. You can search compressed logs with something like "zcat logfile.gz | grep <pattern>"

Good Luck, you have some fun learnin' ahead of you,
Mike