Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Ping a mac address

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:20:00 +0100

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:57:49PM +0200, Roni Bachar wrote:
"That's why I was asking "why?"  It depends on what he's ultimately going to

do and what"

I am testing two separated networks one is a big 4 A class network and one
is a small c class. I would like to see that no machine is connected to the
C class and to the A class at the same time.

Some pre-information: I don't have access to the DHCP server nor to the
switches and I am not Administrator of the network.

I thought the best way is to scan the class c get all the mac and then
connect to the A class and find a way to see if this mac's exist on it or
not.

p.s I know that I can scan both network with varies of tools and compare the
mac's but I rather not do it this way.

My goal is to find out other ways to see that the mac isn't connected to
Both networks.

You *are* aware that this whole check-with-MAC thing only works if you
presuppose that no single host has more than a single NIC?

                Joachim

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831