Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 Trace

From: Francois Labreque <flabreq () ca ibm com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:01:19 -0500

Short answer: No.

Long answer: traceroute uses ICMP ttl-expired messages to work - which has
no equivalent in the various layer two protocols.
The only thing similar that is possible, is with source-route-bridging on
token ring, and you will only find out which ring numbers and bridge
numbers you go through to reach your destination, not the name, mac
address or other layer three addresses of the devices in between, so if
you have access to network topology diagrams, you can figure out where
your traffic goes, but it is of little use for network topology discovery.
 Besides, even in a token-ring SNA environment nowadays, everyone uses
DLSw, which masks the real path that datagrams take.
François Labrèque, CCNP
Team Leader, Network Support
IBM Global Services
Tel.:(514)-964-2150   Fax.:(514)-964-1708
flabreq () ca ibm com

In the future, performance will be measured by the size of your pipe!
       - Dogbert, on networking

riftman <riftman () gmail com>
2005-12-02 06:03

pen-test () securityfocus com
cc

Subject
Layer 2 Trace

Hello,
                 I would like to know if it is possible to do like a
traceroute
but on layer 2.
                 I need to see the equipment that is between source and
target
machines.

                 Thanks in advance;

PS: Sorry my English, this is my first post ... be kind

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,

login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers
are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for
vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before
hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831