Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Rainbowtables for WPA PSK?

From: Seth Fogie <seth () fogieonline com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:08:01 -0500

I will pipe in once again...

This Cisco article below has a part one with it as well (they are actually hosted at InformIT.com). I wrote these up because there was little out that really explained step by step how WPA cracking works. Joshua Wright wrote the program I reference in this article (cowpatty).

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=369221 (part 1)
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=370636 (part 2)

Just another two cents...

Meidinger Chris wrote:

Hi Jeroen,

Both STA and AP use nonces to defeat a replay or precalc attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonce

Key generation is significantly more complicated in WPA than in WEP.

Here's a brief bit about what's relevant to cracking WPA:

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=370636&seqNum=6&rl=1

And I hate to post a microsoft link, but this explains WPA key
generation and mangement very clearly:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0805.mspx
Cheers,

Chris