Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Ping a mac address

From: "mccauley () gmx net" <mccauley () gmx net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:56:51 +0100

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:11:45 +0100
rob.dijkshoorn () planet nl wrote:

Hi,

Seems to me you are mixing up osi-layer functionality.

A MAC-address is a layer 2 (physical) address. This address only has
significance on the local broadcast domain. In ip-terms, your local subnet.
Ping is a layer 4 protocol, used to check end-to-end connectivity
between ip-adresses. You can't use ping to ping a mac-address, since the
protocol underlying ping (ICMP) won't understand it.

I can't find it now, but THERE IS a ethernet "ping" and is a standard
protocol , only some old NIC support it , but it does exist.

--
 <>

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831