Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Where are Windows "Enforce password history" passwords stored?

From: Jean-Baptiste Marchand <jbm.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:29:36 +0200

* Charles Gillman <charles.gillman () gmail com> [30/08/05 - 09:17]:

Can anyone tell me where the "remembered" passwords are stored when
the "Enforce password history" is set in Group Policy?

If this setting is set to its maximum value of 24 then I would expect
24 password hashes are stored for each account for the setting to
work.  But where?

More importantly are there any tools/techniques for accessing the
"remembered" passwords?

pwhist from the ToolCrypt group:

        http://www.toolcrypt.org/tools/pwhist/index.html

See also trashpwhist to clear hashes history:

        http://www.toolcrypt.org/tools/trashpwhist/index.html

If I remember correctly, Cain's password module can also optionally
recover hashes history:

        http://www.oxid.it/cain.html

Jean-Baptiste Marchand