Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Fwd: Rogue AP Wireless on Windows/Linux

From: Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:26:01 -0600

For the archives...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe () gmail com>
Date: Apr 8, 2005 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: Rogue AP Wireless on Windows/Linux
To: "szynkro () gmail com" <szynkro () gmail com>

Try OpenBSD?

Prism2 (and others I don't remember at the moment, rtfm) cards can be
easily ifconfig'd into host-ap mode, and bridged, routed or natted to
an uplink interface. It comes with dhcpd, bind, apache and a very
capable packet filter allowing you to set up a captive portal or very
credibly simulate an commercial access point. Use -current and you can
even set your hardware address so you look like a commercial access
point to those crafty users with netstumblers.

Add a few goodies from ports/security and ports/net and you're set.