Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Tool to find hidden web proxy server

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: 02 Sep 2004 22:25:32 +0200

El jue, 02 de 09 de 2004 a las 19:56, R. DuFresne escribió:
On 2 Sep 2004, Jose Maria Lopez wrote:

El jue, 02 de 09 de 2004 a las 05:36, vinay mangal escribió:
Dear all,

Thanks for your suggestions. May be I am not able to define my question
properly.

This problem is strictly with in company internet access firewall and in the
LAN only. In a company, policy for Internet access says it is through IP
only. The others can not browse the internet. This policy is implemented on
firewall. Few smart guys have installed free proxy server running on non
default ports and distributed the internet access to their friends. The
firewall sees the traffic coming from the authorized IP and does not stop
them. We want to know who has installed proxy on there machine.

I hope, I am able to clearly define my question. Thanks

vinay

What's happening in your LAN is called firewall tunneling of firewall
piercing, and it's one of the security threats one have to deal of when
you have a firewall. If the proxies are running in non-standard ports
then you should close those ports in the firewall, if you have the
default policy to block only some ports you should turn to block all
ports and open only the ports you use (80, 21, 22, etc), or at least
only admit the packets coming from an established connection, so you
never let other machines to initiate connections to non-standard ports
from outside your LAN.

You could also use a sniffer like ethereal to watch the traffic at your
firewall and see what IP addresses are tunneling traffic through
standard or non standard ports, you probably can discern normal traffic
from tunneled traffic with ethereal.

Actually if only doing with with allowing new and or established though,
providing ths FW in question is stateful, will not accomplish the task,
the way to do this is to only allow in and out from specific IP's that
should be serving the content being provided.

But if you allow in and out from specific ports you have at least a
second level of security over what the original poster said it had.
Only allowing out from some IPs it's possible, but I find it very
difficult to make rules for the outer IPs, having in mind the original
poster wants to have internet connection from the LAN for that
machines.

Either internally scanning the network fr offending services and/or
snooping traffic will be enugh to determine who is trying to break policy.
There is no trick in this and any of the tools mentioned in the tread
should do the trick.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes are
guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction
with one of our expert instructors. Check out our Advanced Hacking course,
learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. Attend a course
taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing
experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an
Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html