Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Scanning

From: "Konstantin V. Gavrilenko" <mlists () arhont com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:06:49 +0100

Jason T wrote:
Just a comment on using a WEP cracking programs.  I heard from Keith Parsons
who is an expert wireless teacher saying that WEP cracking in the wild today
doesn't exist in most cases.
In early 2002 all vendors saw the weak IV as an attack.  So they changed the
firmware to no longer support those weak IV's.  If you want to crack WEP it
will most likely be on an AP that has a firmware version prior to 2002.

Any comments on this?

Jason

Yes,

you can still do it. Check out the aircrack by Christophe.
http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/network/

My personal record is less than 5 minutes to break WEP128.
Should I mention that the same applies for 802.1x + WEP :)

--
Respectfully,
Konstantin V. Gavrilenko

Arhont Ltd - Information Security