Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: RE: CEH exam & hacking exposed

From: Wayne Wooley <wayne.wooley () ps net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:55:17 -0600

I depends on the student I guess. But yes in my opinion the course is real
introductory level, and out dated. In the first day of class one student
walked out. I made it to the second day before I left. The instructor was
good, he had written several security books on penetration testing and he
even recommended against getting the C|EH cert.

But there was a few in the class that had no security experience what so
ever, and they did benefit some from the class. I would still recommend
against it though, especially if they are using their own money to pay for
it.

Just to clarify how mine was, the Hacking Exposed books covered more
information than the CEH class. And they are beginner level as well.

I have heard good things about the Advanced Ethical Hacking course from
Infosec Institute, but I have not attended it yet. Here is the link
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/advanced_ethical_hacking_training.ht
ml
The guy that gives the course wrote the Shell coders handbook, which was a
really good read.