Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Crashing services with NMAP and/or SuperScan ?

From: Dave McCormick <mccormic () xecu net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:26:06 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 Petr.Kazil () eap nl wrote:
<snip>
With Superscan I seem to have blown out a switch. It went "red" on the HP
Openview screen and didn't react to ping anymore. All the network traffic
continued - fortunately :-) As of today the admins haven't been able to
tell me what really happened. I haven't dared to try Superscan anymore -
although I like it's output very much - especially it's checks for headers
and anonymous FTP and SMTP.
<Snip>

You don't mention the type of switch you have encountered this on but I
have run into this before with some HP switches.  After getting chastised
by the admins for bringing down a production switch with a scan I asked
them what firmware version they were running on the switch and found out
they were running an older version of firmware that had known issues.  We
scheduled a firmware upgrade and another scan indicated no more problems.

Dave